Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i want some opinions, i bought 2 packages of carniolan bees for my first attempt at bee keeping, which to my delight, is working out great. BUT, i hear and read that these bees are proan to swarming. on a scale of 1 to 10, how bad are they at swarming? and also, the season is winding down, is there anything i can do going into fall and winter the prevent, i have heard about requeening now with something else, and next spring putting a carniolan queen back in. help me out!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Just make sure they have plenty of room in the brood chamber in spring. That's what my focus would be on anyway.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Plenty of room in the spring, certainly, but you don't want to give them that extra space now. You need to be prepping them for winter. Check them early and often in the spring and take appropriate swarm-preventing steps at that time.

I wouldn't requeen a hive that has a perfectly good queen and then requeen it again in the spring. If the queen is old or failing, then requeening now is a good idea but not to possibly prevent a spring swarm. Better to be vigilant and keep a strong queen.

Wayne

·
Registered
113 Posts
Stick with the Carnis. They over winter almost as good as Russians and better than Italians, in the North.
Like the others pointed out the time you need to watch them for swarming is EARLY spring! Here in SE Wisc I would try to have supers on before apple bloosom.
My Carnis and Russians filled three deep brood boxes with brood this spring while the willows where giving off pollen, in 10-14 days! If you haven't supered before they build up then you will need to be ready to make splits/nucs.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Wayne is absolutely right about the requeening. Don't try to fix something thats not broke, you're more apt to wind up causing a problem. Best advise I can give is to work with their nature, not against it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I bought my NWC from Strachen... great service and great bees, and my Russians from Bob Brachman (Cold Country Queens)...nice guy to talk to, no complains about his service, delivered healthy bees right on time...jury is still out on the quality - it's my first time buying from him and I just put the queens from him in their new homes last week.
Kohnen and Sons sells Carnis.... I believe tarheit sells New World Carnis you can check his website honey run apiaries.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I bought my NWC from Strachen... great service and great bees, and my Russians from Bob Brachman (Cold Country Queens)...nice guy to talk to, no complains about his service, delivered healthy bees right on time...jury is still out on the quality

I bought pure mated Russian queens from Bob Brachman in July. The postal service really messed up his first bunch. He shipped another 5 days after the first got lost. They all showed up the same day. Not going into ther whole story, but Mr. Brachman was very great, and fair to do business with. I would reccommend him and his queens to anyone. The queens are top notch.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have Carniolan and I have italian cordoven and a russian hive I love my Carniolan bees they produce good honey and you have to be ready in spring for the build up.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Do these bees fit in good with hot weather in the south ? I guess I need to do a research on them, try and find facts out about them.

Best,

casper_zip

1 - 16 of 16 Posts