Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my first package of bees yesterday (Saturday) afternoon. The bee store had specific instructions to install no earlier than Sunday afternoon (I didn't get a chance to ask but I'm assuming they need a little time to chill out?).
It's raining like mad today and it's expected to be cool and rainy tomorrow also. It will probably be Tuesday before the weather is nice enough (partly cloudy and 65) to install. I feel bad for my little bunch of bees - stuck in that box with just a little can of syrup to feed them. Is there anything I can do to make them more comfortable? I'm spritzing them with 1:1 syrup every once in a while and keeping them in a cool, dark & quiet place.

·
Registered
760 Posts
if you got the latest issue of Bee Culture there was a artical about installing bees -

if not it goes in the form of this ...

take a empty hive body and set it on your bottem board then take another deep hive body and place 9 frames in it - set it to the side - then take one more hive body (empty) and set it aside

then take the syrup can out and slide the queen out - check her well being ??? if alive insert her into the center of the frames - but not under the hole in the inner cover.

then take about a heeping handful of bees and shake on the queen -

then take the package and set it into the empty hive body that is on the Bottem Board - leave the hole open

then set the box with the frames and the queen it it on top of the first empty box

then place the inner cover -

next if you have pail feeder or jar feeder place over the inner cover hole
if not place the cover on now - but you must have a feeder of some sort -- top feeder, frame feeder, or last choice boardsman feeders

hope this helps -
but dont just release the queen - they will most likely take her out back and do her in !!!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
That is kind of how I do it but, the opposite. I put my deep on the bottom board with 4-5 frames in it. The queen in the middle of the frames. Shake a few on top the frames. Then I put the package in the open part of the box and put an empty or my feeder extender the cover on it.

I have 1x2 squares the size of my boxes that raise up the lid 1.5 inches. I use them for when I put a pile of sugar on top of the frames in the winter.

I wonder why they want the empty on the bottom. :scratch: My way saves me from having to lift up the deep later to get the empty out of the way.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Maybe it would be better to remove the syrup can, (cover the hole not to let the bees out) remove the plastic grommet and cloth from the can refill it with 1:1 syrup and put the whole thing back together. You can quit spraying them since they will take the syrup from the feeder can better. They probably want you to wait before installing so everyone can get better acquainted and don't fly off. You shouldn't let the weather deter you as previously recommended. They would rather be in a hive.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I made a video the other day about installing packages, quick and easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl84QOmejCg

One word of caution - if installing a package in a double deep, put the queen cage between the top bars of the bottom box, or between the bottom bars of the top box. Do NOT put the queen cage on the bottom board when installing in a double deep - the bees may cluster higher, and fail to release her.

If installing in a single deep, putting the queen cage on the bottom board should work fine.

·
Registered
760 Posts
im thinking that they want the bees to go up and out of the package and since bees swarm by hanging on objects - they seem to feel at ease

im more of a bump and dump - rain er shine - well...... drizel -- anymore then that and i aint going out either !!! hahaha

anyhow if you need to keep them in the garage for up to a week - just spray them with sugar water about every 4-5 hours

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Invert a jar of syrup over the screen... Don't bother messing with the can. And stop spraying them. IMO

I would have hived them the first evening. I would have been interested in knowing why they wanted you to wait.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I would have been interested in knowing why they wanted you to wait.
I found this on Koehnen's web site:

1. Your packages will be shaken the day of shipping. Depending upon the shipment method, your bees may have sufficient time during transit to acclimatize to the new queen. However, make sure it has been at least 48 hours since your package was shaken before you install it into your hive. When your packages are shipped UPS next day air, always wait until the evening after you receive the packages to install them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks BeeCurious. And thanks to everyone for the feedback. I waited until today (Tuesday late afternoon) to install. Partly cloudy, no wind and mid-60s. The package was still very active and not very many dead bees.
I kept them in our cool, dark garage and sprayed them a few times a day with syrup. The bees really enjoyed it and the kids and I had fun watching them lick up the syrup.
The install today went fine. Great fun watching them get used to their new home. I think the best part of waiting until it's not cold, windy and rainy is being able to sit next to the hive and watch them figure out their new home. :popcorn:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dutch Bee - You're right to anticipate - it's great fun. We've already become greatly attached to our colony. Too bad today is cloudy - was hoping for sun so we could see them fly more.
Just moments after installing them yesterday there were bees coming out of the front of the hive and doing their little imprint before flying away (zig-zag up the front of the hive followed by widening, higher circles until finally they fly away). Already going to work!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts