Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggests, I have done something that does not sit well with me. I was contacted by a person whose hummingbird feeders were being mobbed by honey bees. I visited the site and confirmed that they were indeed honey bees, and suggested that he purchase bee and wasp proof feeders such as the Perky Pet feeder. He currently has about 30 of the cheap plastic feeders that everyone agrees leak like a sieve. Instead he has opted to kill the bees which he claims are preventing the HBs from accessing the feeders. The text I got was "I AM GOING TO KILL THEM". I advised him to use soapy water as opposed to insecticide in the hopes that the originating colonies would not also be poisoned. I can't belive that I have advised someone on how to kill bees. I am going to hell.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
The situation show that right and wrong is usually based on the priorities of each persons perspective. You could have told him humming birds are hanging around your hives and you are going to kill them. I really have seen humming birds check my hive out before. Don't worry about it jw. You can't save the world but the soap and water is probably the best that can be done under the situation.
Cheers
gww

·
Registered
58 Posts
have him use a qtip and skin so soft lotion. spread the lotion on the flower around the feeder neck. bees and wasps hate the smell and wont feed there. humming birds dont care.

·
Premium Member
Mutts.
147 Posts
You could ask him to do a mite count:)

Guessing he has 30 feeders to deter 'bullies'? Not currently feeding hummers, but when we did got up to four feeders in a futile effort to insure all had a chance to feed. In laws found that once the numbers get high enough a single feeder is actually better than many. While the bully chases one three or four feed at the same time. When he returns another takes a turn as 'victim'.

·
Super Moderator
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He rotates the feeders out. Had maybe fifteen hanging and another fifteen soaking in a bleach solution to clean them. During my inspection at around 5 in the evening, there were never less that seven hummers flitting around the feeders. He said he often gets around fifteen birds so he is feeding quite a few birds if the rule of thumb is six times the number at the feeders. I had originally suggested Bee-Gone but he would have had to order it and was already quite agitated about the "thousands of bees" that were keeping his precious birds from getting their fill. Oh well, some beekeeper in the area is going to have a sudden drop in the number of foragers in his hives. And the "honey" harvest may be a little on the light colored side.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Just mention that birds eat bees, so having the bees at the feeders may make it easier for the birds to find and eat them.

I dont know if humming birds actually eat bees, but I know some others do, so just don't be specific about the bird type ;)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
JW, you have confessed, and that is good for the soul. Or so they say.
Your penance could be pointing out to him that using insecticide to kill the bees would be harmful to the birds too.
Now, cleanse yourself in smoke, partake in some holy honey and sin no more.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
...... I am going to hell.
There are cases on my local beek list where we suggested the locals to just kill the nuisance bees.
It boils down to some complicated cut-out cases no one wants to take for various reasons (not to mention, the owners would not pay).

The owners want to still get rid of those bees - well, just kill them then, they are told.

It is pretty common that the people do not appreciate the difficult cut-out jobs and yet they want to look/feel good as if "they are saving the bees".

·
Registered
370 Posts
I would call them back and tell them that if he kills someones hive he may be liable for the damage. Or even worse, they might poison the hummingbirds.
If he likes wildlife then he Must love All wildlife.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts