Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a call today that a swarm of bees had gathered up in a tree. Went out to investigate and found this swarm up in the top of a tree. Land owner got a large step ladder and some hedge trimmers. I trimmed the branch down and put the whole branch in the 5-gallon bucket.

Straight out to the bee yard and hived them up with some foundation. I did take a frame of capped brood and larva plus a frame of honey and put it in the new hive body hoping to anchor this swarm to the box. I put a piece of #8 in the entrance and put 1:1 sugar syrup on top of them.

Here's the pic.

http://

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Nice swarm! May i ask why the #8 wire at the front entrance??? Specially having put foundation and a frame of brood & larva & honey in the hive with them! Is it harder to keep bees in Texas??? I never had to do anything like that, thats why im curious is all!!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the first swarm I've captured and am just trying to take a variety of steps to help them stay and not abscond. I will keep the entrance covered with the #8 for 2 days or so, long enough for them to hopefully adopt the frame of brood and larva and to also find the 1:1.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Oh ok, but like i said i was very curious is all, i never had to stop anything from leaving if it did not want to stay, bees specially! But i have read several threads in the past and this one in particular here not too long ago had captured the same swarm 5 times. I would of gave up along time ago...hahaha

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
This is the first swarm I've captured and am just trying to take a variety of steps to help them stay and not abscond. I will keep the entrance covered with the #8 for 2 days or so, long enough for them to hopefully adopt the frame of brood and larva and to also find the 1:1.
IMO the best thing to use is a queen excluder. If you have a excluder cut it to fit the entrance. Remove after 10-14 days. Or after the queen is laying. I had a queen relaying in 2 days 2 weeks ago. Do you have them on a sbb? My main worry with closing them up with the #8 is heat. Keep them in the shade or drill some holes in a migratory top and cover those with #8 to let the heat out. If you don't have a excluder/includer call me. I'll send you one tomorrow. Here is a pic. Not the best but you get the idea.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Hambone, I've got a queen excluder and access to some old queen excluders. I'll cut one up this afternoon after work and install it in place of the #8 today.

Great idea.:applause:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts