Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a noob and was hoping someone could give some advise on how to proceed with a swarm i've lured . I put out a deep full sized hive box with five frames of foundation. smeared the frames with lime peel and within a week a swarm moved in. Unfortunatly the frames were not centered but all to one side. Upon first inspection I see the bees have constructed four segments of drawn comb on the top cloth and nothing on the foundation.This in the space of two weeks. I don't know if they will eventually work the foundation. Or should I put another deep on top with ten frames of foundation with the hopes they move up. I can then remove the drawn comb from the top cloth and fill the rest of the lower box with foundation. Will this work to in effect give me two brood boxes? Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Look up cutouts.

You will need to cut the comb from the top and rubber band it into empty frames. The bees will attach it to the frames and continue using it. The sooner the better. Pretty soon you will find the comb is attached in many spots and simply taking the cover off will destroy a good amount of comb.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
The same thing happened to me. I caught a swarm and put them in a deep box. The swarm was pretty big when they clustered in the box so I only put five frames in (I didnt want to crush them by putting all ten frames in). A week later I checked on them and they had filled the empty space with comb. The five frames were untouched. I took all of the comb out and wired it to five empty frames (without foundation). It was pretty messy with honey, but worked well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I removed the drawn comb from the top cloth with out much problem. A few casualties. About ten bees. There were five almost fully drawn combs three of which contained capped cells that looked convex and slightly rough .
I rubber banded the drawn comb to empty frames and spaced them alternating with foundation comb to fill the hive completly with frames.

There were uncapped cells with larve around the edges of these sealed cells. I did not see the queen despite my best effort to find her. I noticed a coupple of drones milling around. This was around ten am and I estimate about 2000 workers or so , probably are more out gathering. Hopefully they will start to work the foundation.Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Right on!

Rumor has it when the comb is attached they will chew the rubber bands and toss them out of the door.

I'd put another trap back in the position you caught that one in! Hopefully you can catch another swarm.

Take care
Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts