Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, what can I say? The 2nd part of the cutout where I captured the queen has absonded. I checked on them today and nobody was home. The had simply vanished.

Details:

1. One piece of comb that the queen was on. No brood comb at all.
2. No syrup.
3. No entrance closure.
4. Frames with wax foundation.

What could I have done differently to keep this particular capture?

Personally, I think that next time I capture a hive of bees without any brood comb, I'm going to put syrup on them and lock them up for at least a week. Then maybe put an entrance reducer on. What says the forum?

Now, I still have the first hive from the first part of the cutout.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, what can I say? The 2nd part of the cutout where I captured the queen has absonded. I checked on them today and nobody was home. The had simply vanished.

Details:

1. One piece of comb that the queen was on. No brood comb at all.
2. No sryup.
3. No entrance closure.
4. Frames with wax foundation.

What could I have done differently to keep this particular capture?

Personally, I think that next time I capture a hive of bees without any brood comb, I'm going to put sryup on them and lock them up for at least a week. Then maybe put an entrance reducer on. What says the forum?

Now, I still have the first hive from the first part of the cutout.
I keep hearing to put a queen excluder across the entrance to keep her in.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
This is only anecdotal evidence but I've found that leaving a swarm lure in the hive is effective in keeping them in the hive. My swarm boxes consist of foundationless frames with a guide stick in the groove and the edge of the stick has been rubbed with wax. I place one of the commercial swarm lures inside the trap hanging over the entrance. When we transfer the swarm (after 1-2 weeks) to an 8 frame box I place the lure in the new box and give them a frame of young brood. They have all had comb and brood, so far, when we transfer them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts