Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will queen cells cut out for splits remain viable over night outside a hive? I was making splits today with capped queen cells from colonies I pulled the queens from 9 days ago and got cut short by rain. I have 4 more that I wasn't able to place. Separated them in their own containers and will finish up tomorrow if they don't hatch first. I don't want to waste my time if they won't survive without a cluster of bees.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found an old thread on this topic, looks like you have to keep them at 93 degrees. Is there any margin for error there?

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,207 Posts
I found an old thread on this topic, looks like you have to keep them at 93 degrees. Is there any margin for error there?
What temp were they at for how long.

you could try to place them, be out the effort if they fail.
you could put them on the kitchen table and see what happens, not be out the effort, or toss them...

Some what depends on cell age and how much below 93 for how long.

GG

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They were in open air for a few hours after cutting them out but put them in a closed space with a heat lamp after finding the old thread. Temp in the space they're in is mid 80's

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
The colder they are and the longer they are cold the less likely they are viable. I often take cells from one place to another and I usually try to have them in a small box with some attendants. I don't know how much heat they provide, but I figure every little bit helps. Still I'm sure they cool off some for as much as 30 to 40 minutes while I'm driving and they usually do fine. Longer would worry me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts