Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have capped honey, but my HMC is above 20%. What should I do? I live in Houston, TX so we've had a ton of rain this year, so I'm wondering if it's so high because everything is still so wet?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've got the same problem. I live in PA. and the rain & humidity has been oppressive. I just borrowed a refractometer from my daughter and will soon see (tomorrow) what my moisture content is of the extracted honey. My mentor just said to just seal the 5 gallon buckets as the surface area is not large enough to lower the moisture content by keeping in an Air Conditioned room or by having a dehumidifier in the room. We'll see what happens!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I take an empty 5 gallon bucket and a Damp-Rid packet from the grocery store. I attach the top of the Damp-Rid to the bottom, inside of the bucket. This lets the Damp-Rid hang right side up when the bucket is upside down. I place the bucket upside down over the honey and leave it for a day or two until the moisture comes down.
Problem solved

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am south of U in Galveston county and the first 5 barrels we have 20.+.
Give Me a call and I will tell U how to dry with a dehumidifier.

409-789-2839

·
Registered
641 Posts
I take an empty 5 gallon bucket and a Damp-Rid packet from the grocery store. I attach the top of the Damp-Rid to the bottom, inside of the bucket. This lets the Damp-Rid hang right side up when the bucket is upside down. I place the bucket upside down over the honey and leave it for a day or two until the moisture comes down.
Problem solved
I do the same. I extracted some deadouts and came up with 28% moisture. I bought a bucket (1 gal size) of Damp-rid and placed it beside an open 5 gallon bucket of honey inside a sealed plastic storage tote, set tote in the sun. Worked like a charm. My first idea was to use the calcium chloride ice melter (the white pellets; same stuff as in Damp Rid). That's impossible to find in the late Spring, likely more difficult to find in FL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts