Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got 2 russian hives that are very week, one has no capped brood and another about a 3 inch square of capped brood, in the process of requeening, my question is can i take capped brood out of my stong itilians and use in the russians?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
Is there a dearth? If the queens cut back on laying because of a dearth (a feral/russian/carni trait and not an Italian trait) you won't be helping them with their plans.
But if the queens are failing it might be good to requeen.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the reason i wanted to split and requeen these is because they havent been queened for since year before last, (at least thats what the man said i bought them from) and both hives were next in the same location as other hive and made absoultely no excess honey at all, and they started april with 2 full deep hive bodies full of honey....as for a dearth, here in AR weve had more rain in july than in all of may and part of june, my yard is full of clover again. So im just assuming these are failing hives.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
When you found them full of honey in April did you make room for her to lay eggs or just leaveit to the bees. That's was when they should have built up. the Russkies overwinter with less than italians. they need to build up in the spring. Is there room now in the brood nest for the queen to lay?

Hawk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well im kinda a newbie at this, come to think of it, lots of honey but not much room....i suppose i should replace a couple of honey frames with empty frames

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Think "Open up the brood nest for the queen to lay eggs in." Do it every month and you'll be surprised at the difference. Large numbers of bees, lots of honey, Your life will be easier. Trust me.

Hawk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, but i still havent gotten my origional question answered :0) can I put in some itilian brood to give them a jumpstart?

·
Vendor
54,171 Posts
Hawk covered why I didn't anser the original question. Because I don't think the original question is the one that needs to be answered. The question you need to answer is "what is the root problem?". If you steal from a strong hive to feed a failing one, you may just be wasting resourses if you don't get to the root of the problem.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well im not sure what else to do, I have other russian hives close to them that done great this year, that i wasnt wanting to break into, but did anyway and found plenty of capped brood, very crowded, very active hives...so i swapped some honey for some capped brood, there were some open frames in the 2 hive bodies but they were simply starting to store honey in them. I put russian queens in and checked them again in 2 days, they seemed to be accepting the queens good so i took off the end caps so they cold eat thru and release her....did not see any swarm cells and they werent trying to sting the new queen so im hoping everything is on track, thats one split, the other i revisited and found capped brood in the bottom hive body which i shared between the hives, i split them all on the same days expecting queens which arrived on time, but due to my careless handling i lost two of them before i got them to the hives, so these 2 have been setting split for 5 days now, queens should be here wed, I did noticed some ( i think they were anyway ) swarm cells on the bottom hive body of this last spilt when i was evening out the capped brood, i tore them off, now i just have to locate that queen which i believe is in the upper hive body, sorry if this sounds like rambling but i wanted to explain it all, im hoping im correcting the problem the right way......i also put a quart jar of 1 to 1 sugar water with honey bee healthy in it in each hive to make them a lil happier.....also since the hive bodies are crowded with honey how can i make more egg laying room, ive got some hive body frames but none with drawn comb in them, will a super with drawn comb in it work, or should i put in foundation and let them build comb for the brood?
Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
69 Posts
Michael Bush,

Not to steal the show, but I have been having the problem of low brood because of a dearth. If I feed them, will that help? These are newly hived italians and I was afraid the lack of brood was because of that. Seems like italians peter out on laying closer to fall. I didn't even think about the dearth.

·
Vendor
54,171 Posts
>I have been having the problem of low brood because of a dearth. If I feed them, will that help?

If you manage to feed them without setting off robbing, it will probably stimulate them to rear more brood. How many bees do they have now? If they have a basketball sized cluster maybe they are doing well enough to wait until later. If not, then maybe you should feed them.

You'll probably get a fall flow. If it looks like there is no fall flow, then I would feed a lot both to boost the population of YOUNG bees and to get them stocked up for winter.

>These are newly hived italians and I was afraid the lack of brood was because of that.

Hard to say.

>Seems like italians peter out on laying closer to fall.

Generally Italians seem to rear brood like fools no matter what the nectar supply, but all bees will back off some in a dearth. All bees will back off in the fall to, but it's a long ways to fall.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
arky188:
To free up some broodcombs for laying in, why not extract a few and then replace them in the hive? Foundation will work, to an extent, and would use up some of the honey that is stored. Read up on the checkerboarding metheod explained by Walt Wright, it works wonders to free up the broodnest. As far as to why your two hives were weak, could have been failing queens, but the hives should have raised supercedure queens to replace them, and they didn't. I would lean more toward a honeybound broodnest, and prehaps they might have swarmed on you, and you didn't know it. That would make a weak hive for awhile. But you should then have virgin queens?? You need to open that broodnest up so she has someplace to lay.

gds:
My Italians are still laying strong. Some of the queens that were shipped out with packages weren't as good as they could be, maybe you should think about requeening them. They should be laying strong now.

peggjam

1 - 13 of 13 Posts