Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Yesterday there were two swarms, both landed in the exact same tree. I'm told that sometimes when one hive swarms, the other will swarm together. Is this true?

2. I checked the two culprit hives, and indeed both had queen cells.

One of the hives had the following: Capped and uncapped queen cells - AND eggs.

Is it possible that the queen laid eggs the day before, or the same day before swarming? Population in the two hives were definitely smaller, but I was surprised to see nearly an entire frame full of eggs, capped AND uncapped (with royal jelly) queen cells in the one of them.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
1. Yesterday there were two swarms, both landed in the exact same tree. I'm told that sometimes when one hive swarms, the other will swarm together. Is this true? I can't speak to how common of a phenomenon this is, but I can tell you that it has happened to me twice in my beeyards, that I have personally witnessed. Perhaps it was just similar conditions of like-situated hives. Perhaps it was the end of a few rainy days and the first bright sunny day came out. Or perhaps it is something else. I don't know.

2. I checked the two culprit hives, and indeed both had queen cells.
One of the hives had the following: Capped and uncapped queen cells - AND eggs. I don't think this is too atypical. A laid egg remains an egg for 3 to 4 days. A "hatched" egg looks very similar to an egg until day 5 or 6. So it could be she stopped laying 48 hours before she took off. As to the capped and uncapped QCs, that is a very common find for me post-swarm.

Is it possible that the queen laid eggs the day before, or the same day before swarming? Population in the two hives were definitely smaller, but I was surprised to see nearly an entire frame full of eggs, capped AND uncapped (with royal jelly) queen cells in the one of them.
NM

1 - 2 of 2 Posts