Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Banned
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
25% is the average Canadian overwinter loss for this past winter.

I'm sure they're looking into the 58% loss figure.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
25% is the average Canadian overwinter loss for this past winter.

I'm sure they're looking into the 58% loss figure.
I meant, why do you say that this is unsustainable? It isn't like those losses are expected to be the new normal. It isn't like those colonies that were lost are not going to be recouped, reoccupied. The numbers are recoverable.

Higher losses than normal, but not unrecoverable from.

The terms "sustainable" and "unsustainable" are so passe in my opinion. People do what they need to do to carry on.

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
weird weather indeed michael.

we've had above average rainfall these past two years while the west coast is in severe drought.

·
Banned
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Climate change.

Just wait till the Southern Ocean Oscillation really kicks in.

No, sqkcrk, you won't have to wait that long. Maybe 20-30 years tops.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I really hate it that I can't address you by your first name. Just saying so. Not pressuring.

Maybe so, but I didn't think that enough established and identifiable change would happen that soon.

So why is what we all are doing sustainable?

·
Banned
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, according to the models, since we're over 400 ppm CO2 at this point, we should hit the tipping point of 450 ppm CO2 before 2050.

So, the type of loss numbers we're seeing aren't as bad as they can get.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
What happened to that guy from VT, Bill McKibben maybe?, and his 360 campaign. Wasn't that CO2? Did someone raise the number?

·
Banned
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think that the main issue is still that Ontario beekeepers have reported a 58% winter mortality for this year after a 36% (if I recall correctly) winter mortality last year.

If it keeps up, many will throw in the towel.

·
Super Moderator
11,183 Posts
Why would you expect "it to keep up"? :scratch: :s

As you can see, winter mortality average jumps around, and the overall trend over the last six years is a decrease in winter mortality.

·
Banned
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They're having a hard time in Ontario.

In fact, they're considering regulating the use of neonicotinoid pesticides to further reduce mortality.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I think that the main issue is still that Ontario beekeepers have reported a 58% winter mortality for this year after a 36% (if I recall correctly) winter mortality last year.

What makes you think it will keep up? And if it does, do you really think no one will fill the niche?

1 - 20 of 194 Posts