Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

2 weeks ago I installed 2 frames filled with bees, brood of various stages, nectar, pollen and honey. In addition to that there were 2 queen cells on one of the frames about to hatch the day after I installed. I waited the 2 weeks before checking on them and I couldn't find her today nor could I find any eggs. They had stared to draw out comb on 1 empty frame, seemed very active and were quite gentle.

Did I just miss her, what are the chances of a queen emerging, going on her mating flight and coming back?

Are there any characteristics I can look for aside from the obvious to know if there is a queen? I have heard that if you split a hive you can tell which hive body the queen is by the sound. They were very quiet.

Any insight is much appreciated!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
My first year trying, seems like they always showed up later than I thought. Have had 2 return out of 5 and am not giving up yet on the other 3, gave one a frame of eggs and young larvae 4 days ago and they dont seem interested in starting a queen cell. Good Luck G

·
Registered
338 Posts
Both queen cells gone? Once she hatches it will take about 5 days for her to harden, she will then take her mating flights. It could be up to 3 weeks after hatching before you see eggs. If the hive is calm, it's a pretty good bet she's there. Virgins can be difficult to spot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both were hatched out, one looked very natural with only a hole at the bottom. The second was very mangled, there was hardly anything left of the queen cell. My thought is that they killed her?

I'll check again in a week to look for her and/or eggs.

I did move those 2 full frames from the nuc to a 10 frame empty hive, I hope that isn't premature.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm in my second year. I have two hives and split them both. I feel I'm pretty good at spotting the queen, but I am yet to spot one of the split's queens. I didn't have cells just added eggs when I did the split. She must have mated and is laying because there is a good brood pattern. It took about a week longer than I thought it would for her to start laying but we did have a snow on Mother's Day and a week of cold days (50's and low 60's) right around the mating flight dates.
My advice is give it another week and look for eggs/brood.
Fabian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts