Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After two inspections I cannot find the queen. Hive getting smaller, not bigger. I suspect that there is laying workers in the hive. Should I combine hives or let it go?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thor, any eggs, larva or capped brood? What is the tempertmant of your hive? Did you smoke excessively? In my experience, excessive smoke makes queens run and queenless hives get testy very quickly. If you see eggs,you had a queen at least three days ago. Why do you suspect laying workers? More than one egg per cell and eggs laid on cell walls? If you really suspect laying workers, in my opinion do not combine hives, your best option is to buy a laying queen, shake the laying workers out of your hive, and hope for the best.:doh:

·
Registered
69 Posts
i have had my hive for 6 months and do an inspection every 7 to 9 days and have yet to be able to find my queen.
i did noticed my queen not laying much at all when it got real hot and dry here and nothing is blooming out so i started to feed 1:1 and a pollen substitute and she started laying just fine again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts