Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas where I can find divert Sugar in the NW? I'm North of Seattle.

JoeMcc

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
That link doesn't say anything about "divert" sugar. Why are you looking for it? Do you want to feed it to your bees?

·
Registered
519 Posts
That link tells about "invert" sugar, not "divert" sugar. But, i take it that you are wanting it for feed. What is so special about divert sugar, as feed, versus mixing water and cane sugar?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
And if its been sitting around awhile it gets kinda lumpy.I picked up a few bags from Dadants on the way through.They were a bit surprised when I started slamming the bags down on the concrete.But lumpy drivert is hard to pour into a hive.

·
Registered
246 Posts
That link tells about "invert" sugar, not "divert" sugar. But, i take it that you are wanting it for feed. What is so special about divert sugar, as feed, versus mixing water and cane sugar?
Drivert is C&H trade name -it is sugar that is amalgamated in 8% invert sugar
the benefits to inverted sugar are many-but inverted syrup is common hard to find inverted sugar in dry form-RDY-B

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Drivert is useful for feeding nucs or weaker hives in a dearth without setting off robbing like syrup might.
Though plain sugar can be used for the same purpose, drivert is less likely to be wasted.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Can't find Drivert Sugar in the Northwest.

I am going to mix it at a 1:1 ratio with Mega bee then add 2:1 regular sugared syrup. Im also going to add canola oil. The Drivert keeps the patties from drying out and collects hive moisture.

I see I misspelled Drivert in the original thread title.... Sorry.

JoeMcc

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Found some...

Puratos Baking Supply - Seattle

little over $40 for a 50# bag.

JoeMee

·
Registered
2 Posts
C&H's "Drivert Sugar" = Baker's Sugar = Caster Sugar, which is available in a two-pack (of 3#/jar=6#s) from Amazon.com for ~$32. If you have Amazon Prime, you can "Subscribe & Save" and get up to 15% discount and it's even cheaper if you use "Prime Pantry"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts