Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, decided to go to the beach with the wife and kids for 3 days. Before I left, I had checked my 2 walk away splits and both had queens....I had decided that my only hive was too strong, so I did a walk away split from the main hive about 3 weeks ago. They made so many cells, I split them again. SO thats 2 walk aways from one really strong hive. When i got back into town today, both Nucs had laying queens(Thanks Ray for the advice...and you too BBO). I decided to take a look at the big hive. Now on Saturday, i saw momma in all her glory just roaming around laying eggs all over in nice tight patterns, but today...No Mamma. No Where. I checked 3 times. There were queen cells in the deep sealed already, and the medium that were already sealed. What i did notice is it looks like they Honey bound her. When i left, she had Plenty of room, and a super for them to store in, but today, their was hardly any place for her to lay(none of the honey is capped yet). There were eggs a day old in every available slot.. and the cells were in the middle of the frames, the bottom of the frames and even in between the frames. About 10 in all. I had opened up the nest a lot l a month ago and then again did some frame swaps last week. So, i decided today that i should just do another walk away, so I took the medium that had 4 or 5 cells and made another walk away. My question. What happened, was it because they HB her that they thought she was failing? I did frame swap a lot again today in hopes that they werent in swarm mode. All opinions appreciated!!!

Dev

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Come on up to SC and give me a hand w/ mine. Helping me would be like a vacation. And the rest of the family could go out to Myrtle Beach and soak up the sun.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL...with 3 kids, your prolly right mark...LOL. BTW, they didnt swarm.....there are about the same amount of bees as when i left...

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went through all the hives today, and she isn't there. The 2 Nucs have their new queens, but i watched as I put her back into the big hive. She was on the fifth frame is laying. She was there because of the day old or less eggs, She just isnt there now. These are MHI's...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts