Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me being from the south and seeing a gigantic field of canola I got very excited and moved a few colonies next to it.... enter winter this morning it frosted about 30-32f for maybe 3 hours while the plant was in full bloom. Will the bees be able to forage it or is it a waste of time and I should move them back home.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I'd say let them bee, if...
There will be a spring flow there, ie nectar/pollen. I'm in bama, so not sure of what the season is for crops growing periods there. I'm sure just a few nights of cold here and there, the bees should find forage or cleansing flights. Check the weight of hives, if low on honey/ pollen stores. Feed them, and include pollen sub patties for spring growth. Don't let em starve out. This is build up time for South, and spring preps are time to do this asap, if needed.

·
Registered
347 Posts
AMK, If you need to know today, contact your county extension agent, they will be aware of the frosty weather and familiar with plant biology in your neck of the woods, great resource to have.

https://wharton.agrilife.org/contact/

Weather has been a roller coaster up here as well, 26* here last night and pushing 80* this weekend

1 - 3 of 3 Posts