Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Canola fields for miles and not another beekeeper or any other person in sight.
Imagine going all day and never seeing anyone else? Now imagine where dubya Elsie is where one is never alone?
Sucks to be him.

·
Registered
406 Posts
How long does Canola bloom?
Do the bees like it?
What do the bees do when the canola bloom dies? No other bloom in sight......

·
Banned
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bloom lasts a couple weeks then the bees work some alfalfa and then we crack out the cyanide and thin the herd. Just kidding. After the alfalfa it's pretty much over for nectar here.

·
Banned
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The new RR canola doesn't seem to put out as much nectar as the polish canola that used to be grown here but it is still a monster crop. The bees love it. I have never had it crystallize in the comb but I don't waste any time extracting.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
At $2.40/lb Canadian and 130-140 pounds to be had on an average year I would say that it is pretty desirable. Could be more this year as seeding was spread over a 2-3 week period on account of rains. So instead of the 3-4 week flow could be a 3 -6 week flow... most desirable.

Jean-Marc

·
Registered
406 Posts
Is canola the same as rape seed?

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
"Canola" markets better than "rape seed" -- thus the renaming (or so I read somewhere).
It markets better, because it is better.

From Wikipedia:-

Canola was bred naturally from rapeseed at the University of Manitoba, Canada, by Keith Downey and Baldur R. Stefansson in the early 1970s and had a different nutritional profile, in addition to much less erucic acid.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts