Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have access to about 150 acres of canola but it’s been so wet best chance I have to move my bees there is this Friday . It started blooming about two weeks about but only small parts of the field. I don’t think it’s peaked yet but maybe next couple of weeks. Anyone have any experience with it do you think it would be worth moving hives for the remaining few weeks?

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,020 Posts
I have access to about 150 acres of canola but it’s been so wet best chance I have to move my bees there is this Friday . It started blooming about two weeks about but only small parts of the field. I don’t think it’s peaked yet but maybe next couple of weeks. Anyone have any experience with it do you think it would be worth moving hives for the remaining few weeks?
Somewhat norm answer "it depends"

How far?
Do you have the truck and loader?
where the bees are now do they have any forage?
How many hives?

150 acres, is like only going to work for 6-8 hives, not sure how much forage they already have.
IMO I would not do the work to not get a gain or only get a small gain.
What is the cost of feeding them each a couple gallons of syrup, compared to the move?

it would be a cost VRS benefit decision.

GG

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The length of the canola season really depends on the germination. If the plants mostly germinate at about the same time, season is is some 4 weeks. If germination is uneven, as can happen in a dry spring, and then there is some rains, the season can be 8-10 weeks. There does need to be some moisture in the ground to get a good nectar flow and longer flowering period.

Canola honey does crystalize in the comb, so need to pull supers and extract every couple of weeks. With a strong colony, bees will make a 100lbs of honey in a week. Canola honey does not have much taste, It has a taste much like sugar. Consequently, it is good for baking. It also can be blended with strong tasting honey, if you desire to cut back the strong taste.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
573 Posts
Is the area safe from pesticide spray? That would be my 1st question.
Also not sure how long the nectar flow for them would be so if short, is it worth it

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. Canola in Texas is a new phenomenon Mexico is making oil now so the demand is growing. Farmers are trying to do canola In winter then get a sesame crop in summer. I think I will take the advice and let the bloom pass and just feed. It’s only ten miles from my hives but it is so wet it would be a mess

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Pollinators place 30-40 hives in every corner of a quarter section here in Alberta, this is under irrigation and hybrid seed production, so. Mgolden mentioned the honey yield already. Insecticides & fungicides is a concern, clear it up. Is the wetness a concern in getting to the field? The bees have rubber boots & coats, so don't worry about them.

JoergK.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I would think the season is longer in Texas, as hours per day of sun light is less. In July, we are getting some 17 hours of sun. Bees are foraging some 15 hours per day.

Is there some 11 hours of sunlight in Texas in winter?

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I would think the season is longer in Texas, as hours per day of sun light is less. In July, we are getting some 17 hours of sun. Bees are foraging some 15 hours per day.

Is there some 11 hours of sunlight in Texas in winter?
In Canada Canola is a summer crop unlike the southern US so I think there is not the bug pressure so I do not think spraying is an issue. Canola pollen is one of the best pollens available for growing bees and the nectar from the blooms will beat any sugar syrup and you will quickly fill your supers. Most Canola honey is creamed which then prevents the crystalization problem as long as you extract it from the comb as soon as you can. Hopefully you can make use of Canola before your spring flows which can grow your bees and get a larger honey yield. So in my opinion I would have as many as 2 hives per acre on those fields if I could.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
BTW, Dallas sunshine hours now are 10 hrs 13 minutes, 11 hrs in a month and in six month 14 hrs

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The fields are too wet to move pallets in I coulda done it with singles. The weather has been terrible this season rain and cold temps above 55 for maybe 5 hours. They do spray it but it’s to wet for them to get in the field. I know the honey is low moisture and crystallizes this would be good for me to blend with my tallow honey to knock down moisture it’s usually 19% which is borderline.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts