Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really excited eagerly anticipating the delivery of two 3lb packages of russian/carniolan bees.
I had a less than successful year last year due to a combination of late start, wrong race and inexperience. I will be installing the packages into deep brood boxes that were left over from my failed italians. They will have 8 full frames of drawn comb with 5-6 frames worth of honey.
I have a top feeder and some bee-pro patties on hand. I am planning to feed, feed, feed as I have read over and over until they stop taking the feed. With that in mind, should I put the feeder on right away when installing? Use 1:1 or 2:1 syrup?
When I started last year I did not know then what I do know now and I just put the nuc frames into the hive bodies one evening and walked away, Ignorance is bliss!
I have downloaded the instructions from a couple of suppliers and they differ slightly. My biggest looming concern is once the package is hived, what can I do to keep the bees from just flying away, spray with water or syrup? The other question I have is about installing the queen, some say horizontal in the middle, some say with candy in the cage. How about the timing? install the package, then the queen? I have all thes things floating around in my head and could use some clarity. Please!

·
Registered
119 Posts
You are asking a lot of good questions. With all of the drawn cone you should be in good shape. I would put the honey on the outside and the empty cone in the center to be use for brood. When installing the new bees remove some of the center frames and dump the bees in. Install some of the center frame after spraying some 1:1 sugar water in them not to much and leave room to put the queen between the center frames. You may need to leave one frame out. I suspend the queen near the top of the frame using a small wire or the metal strip on the top of the queen cage if it has one. Remove the cork from the queen cage exposing the candy. Make sure the bees can get to the screen to care for her. I normally give them 1:1 syrup in a feed then wait 3 days. The queen should be released at this time. Remove to cage make sure all you frame are pushed up tight and let them do there thing. I find it rare that the bees leave but it has happened to some. If you have access to a frame eggs and larva the bees will not leave the young. You should not have a problem good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts