Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I understand that most of the time the candy in the shipping cage is some type of fondant. What about using marshmallows? I have purchased the transport cages but they did not have candy with them. Can I use a small marshmallow in a pinch?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
A marshmallow is fine for when you want to release the queen. However queen candy is also something the attendants uses to keep the queen fed during transportation. If you do a search on queen candy on google you will find the recipe..

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I wouldn't use a marshmellow, they become goey in heat and the queen can get covered in a mess. Use a std candy plug. Corn syrup and powdered sugar, several recipes available on the net

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Yep, corn syrup and powdered sugar. Mix it until it's not sticky anymore (add powdered sugar and keep mixing until it doesn't stick to you).

FatBeeMan has a great YouTube video of it.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I also use powdered sugar and corn syrup. Once I get it to a decent consistency I microwave it for 15 or 20 seconds and add more powdered sugar. When I roll the glob of it into a ball I want to squeeze the edge and it not crumble, only crack slightly.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I use powdered sugar and inverse syrup from Kelley.

Dump a two pound bag of powdered sugar in the mixer. Add just less than 1 cup of hot syrup. Mix. Knead any extra sugar into the ball of candy. Fill cages when the candy is still warm. Adjust the stiffness of the candy by the amount of syrup added.

Makes enough candy for 130 cages. Freeze the extra. Heat in microwave to fill cages.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts