Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have some full and also half eaten candy boards left over from the winter. i would prefer to make fresh ones for next winter and would like to get rid of the old candy. i have several new packages and splits, and a couple swarms i am building up. any problems putting them on the growing hives for the summer? i wont take honey off them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i am surprised no one commented, looks like 104 views. sooo, tomorrow i am going to experiment and put candy boards on a couple hives and see what happens. either way, i will post back with results.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I'll bite. It certainly won't hurt,but if you have any kind of flow on, they likely will not touch them. If I had swarms, I would be feeding them syrup and have them make as much comb as possible. J

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the new kids are all on syrup and each have a pollen patty to help build them up. i will keep an eye on them and see if they feed on the candy boards too. sad to say, but about 12 weeks from now will be the first of october.......yuck!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I can usually break the old candy out and soak it is a bucket of water to turn it into syrup the next day. Helps to put a lid on it to keep the ants out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts