Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a result of making several splits 2-3 weeks ago I currently have 5 new hives with virgin queens.

The 3 smaller hives each have a single virgin queen in them that emerged 5-10 days ago, none of whom is laying yet.
The 2 much more populous hives were slightly behind, the queens scheduled to emerge today. I checked them, and in each found 2 with newly opened queen cells (circular exit, at the tip, not from the side) and about 6 more queen cells unopened, some of which were piping. I'm only looking to keep 3 of the 5 hives so felt I could gamble on leaving one queenless by mistake so I broke the cells all down, not wanting 9 new queens in a strong hive likely to throw of virgin 'cast' swarms and decimate my strong populations/workforce. It was kind of sad - many of the new queens crawled out of the cells as I tore them open, but I had no place for them... I always hate killing a queen. One got away - came out in my hands, jumped onto my veil, and then dove into the hive.

Anyway, the far stronger hives now have 2 and 3 queens each, just emerged today. Perhaps they will Fight to the death, but I don't want a cast swarm. If I swap the hive positions, to let the solo queens who are sooner to lay absorb all the workers, the now depleted hives with 2 queens will be in less position to divide what's left and more likely to fight it out. Or will cause less damage if one leaves anyway.

BUT. How do I know the young queens themselves wont return to the wrong hive if they aren't done with their mating flights? The newest queens haven't flown yet, but the older ones might not be done flying. And will non laying queens produce enough pheromones to command the allegiance of all the returning workers - or will they see her as a usurper?

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
If I were you I would not do it. Right now is the critical time for the mating flight after one week.
They will surely kill the queen when she return from her mating flight. Her smell is different for sure.
Instead of killing off the other capped qcs, what I did was to caged all of them inside a small jzbz plastic
queen introduction cage. This way I can select the biggest and the most beautiful virgins to head my hives.
If you goto the queen rearing forum you will see my post and the plastic cages that I used to cage these cells in.
Titled: My Little Queen Cells Experiment

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
Those newly emerging queens will not be emerging for a several days. If you can switch location of the hives without a lot of crashing and banging like I often manage, nothing should happen to the fresh virgins.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts