Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved two nucs yesterday into 10 frame deeps. I gave them each 5 frames of honey that I had left from dead outs. My plan was to put a second box with drawn comb on in a couple weeks. Now I'm wondering if I've created a honey bound situation? I'm also planning on robbing frames of eggs from these two hives to give to a suspected laying worker hive. I could do that right away and replace that frame with drawn comb to help open the brood nest. Am I over thinking this?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
How full of brood, bees, and stores were the nucs? You may want to put that box of drawn comb on sooner than planned. Maybe move a cpl frames of honey up and a cpl of drawn comb down. How cold is it where you are? What's the forecast of coming temps? The bees may be better off in the upper box w/ s cpl of frames of empty comb to lay in and the empty comb box below for a while, to be rotated above when dandelions are abundant.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I ended up pulling a couple frames of honey and replaced with drawn comb, and then added the second box with the two frames of honey and the rest drawn comb. The nucs look pretty strong so hopefully I did the right thing. I also stole a frame of eggs and gave to my lw hive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts