Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got into one of my strong hives and noticed that they had swarmed immediately. On further inspection, I saw queen cells. I said a few choice words and noted that I did not need any more supers. I took a couple of frames out with queen cells on them to make nucs. Two days later I went to put new frames in. When I opened the hive it was FULL of bees. Also, where I took the frames out, the bees had already filled the spot with drawn comb. So, my question is - is it possible that a swarm joined the remaining bees that were in the hive? I just can't figure this out.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
If the queen was unable to fly they could have came back. If your split wasn't moved far enough away those bees could have come back. 2 frames of capped brood could have hatched and that would have been enough bees to cover 4 frames. You could have a large population of older bees and they were out foraging when you made the split and when you went back to add frames they were home.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Some things aren't meant to be figured out or understood, but celebrated! Throw on another super!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts