Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made two gallons of sugar water yesterday and they have been sitting on my kitchen counter - and the heat has also been on in my house. I am wishing I had put the containers in my fridge. Will the water still be ok? How long does it take before it starts to go bad?

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
It takes a while so don't worry. Cool is good but not always possible.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Logically to me, sugar water, or any food for that matter, can only spoil if there is bacteria/fungus available to make it begin to break down. Thinking on fermenting (as would be the fear with sugar water), that requires yeast, wild or cultured. If you sterilize and pasteurize you should be OK. I was just thinking about mixing up a bunch and pressure canning it, but the time that would go into all that just so I could grab a quart jar from time to time is not worth it. I just keep a bag of sugar ready in a pinch and use hot tap water to mix it quickly. Normally I plan it better and mix a 5 gallon batch and put it all out, as I always have a few nucs with jars and a few struggling colonies that I can give it to.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
The stronger the syrup, the longer it keeps. If you boil the water, it keeps longer. If you lower the pH to 4.5 or so it will keep longer. If you put it in the fridge, it will keep longer. If you only make what you need today, it's not an issue...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I made up 5 gallons of invert sugar syrup and then the weather turned too cold to put it on(go figure that would happen in Ohio). After 3 weeks I noticed green floaters. The invert sugar is supposed to keep much longer. I've had it keep for months before, don't know what I did different this time.. Oh yeah, I did keep it inside this time.?

·
Vendor
54,108 Posts
>Michael - How do you lower the pH of the syrup ?

I dissolve Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) in the water before adding the sugar. My target is 4.5. My water changes pH as it is exposed to the air, so I usually fill a bucket and let it set overnight. Then boil it, then add the Ascorbic acid then after it dissolved add the sugar. I haven't worked out the formula for my current location (I just moved here) but at the old location that was 7 grams of Vitamin C for five gallons of 5:3 syrup.

·
Vendor
54,108 Posts
>What do you use 5:3 syrup for?

Anything I need syrup for. It keeps better than 1:1. There is less to haul around for the amount of sugar I'm giving them. It mixes easier than 2:1 (I can't get 2:1 to dissolve very well and it crystallizes quickly). I need to boil the water anyway to make it keep longer and as long as it's boiling 5:3 dissolves very nicely.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Ok, so that brings on another question Michael. I've been sitting here reading on your website about feeding and all the methods etc. I can tell you don't try to stimulate early brood build up and try to leave enough honey till spring for them. So normally what people do with 1:1 is stimulate brood and comb building, but heavier mixes stimulate honey storage in most cases (i know they pull it down into the hive to use it in either case, but is it an issue with the 5:3 mix on a new hive?

·
Vendor
54,108 Posts
I think the idea of 1:1 for stimulation was to save money on sugar... I don't see any difference as far as stimulation in the spring between 1:1 5:3 or 2:1. It does make a difference in the fall it seems as they will stock away the 2:1 or 5:3 more quickly with less water to get rid of and it seems to do less to stimulate them in the fall. In the spring they were anticipating a buildup. In the fall they are anticipating winter...

·
Registered
72 Posts
(hopefully not off op's topic) so michael, would you feed a new package 5:3? i was worried they'd go through a 1 gallon baggie feeder of 1:1 quicker than i wanted them to. i don't want to disturb them too much in the first 5+ days. i hadn't thought of increasing the concentration of sugar.

·
Registered
329 Posts
(hopefully not off op's topic) so michael, would you feed a new package 5:3? i was worried they'd go through a 1 gallon baggie feeder of 1:1 quicker than i wanted them to. i don't want to disturb them too much in the first 5+ days. i hadn't thought of increasing the concentration of sugar.
I've been feeding my two foundationless hives (one swarm, one large rescue) 2:1 (maybe a bit less) and they took it down and were building comb like no body's business.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts