Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is it that using a fume board with robber bee or be go does not flavour the honey? I am afraid to try it! I also don’t like to use a gasoline leaf blower because I am afraid it could flavor the honey. I don’t like extracting my honey if strong flavored foods are being prepared nearby. And I don’t use smoke in the hive when my honey supers are on. Any thoughts on how careful you need to be with strong odors?

·
Registered
11,704 Posts
I think because those things are volatile and they leave the honey.

Smoke? You really got to use a massive amount of smoke before it could be detected in the honey. I have removed honey by heavily smoking the bees out of the boxes, and the honey tastes as crisp and clean as any other, no hint of any smoke.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
....... And I don’t use smoke in the hive when my honey supers are on. ......
If I don't smoke my hives "when my honey supers are on" I will not be able to get ANY work done until X-Mas.

Do it and don't worry too much.
Tis a non-issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When you are using a fume board to remove the supers, the honey should all, or at least almost all, be capped. I can't imagine how much you would need to use over how long a time to get that smell to permeate not only the cappings, but to get into the honey. With smoking the bees, that smoke is in the hive for such a short time, I don't think it would affect the honey at all. I have never noticed any smokiness to my, or anyone else's honey.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts