Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
If they aren't bothering you (and they won't unless you're really in their space) just leave it. Most nests are one-year affairs so there won't be bees in it next year.

But, as the poster above said, I wouldn't fuss at them. They can be mean if roused.

Enj.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Watch my bees ball them on the landing board when they have a chance. They love killing honeybees. Yes they are mean. Yes they sting, and yes it is a very painful sting. Painful enough that if you climbed a ladder late at night, very late, and put a very large trash bag around the paper nest, then carefully ripped it off whatever it was attatched to, and closed up the bag, it would make a great present for your worst enemy. Fits nicely on the front seat of a car. Not that I know anyone that would have done that in the past........:lpf:........... G

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Hah, I just found one of those nests tonight! Fortunately, it was in a plastic bag at the back of the club store-room, dead as a doornail, probably for some years. Wicked looking thing.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Hah, I just found one of those nests tonight! Fortunately, it was in a plastic bag at the back of the club store-room, dead as a doornail, probably for some years. Wicked looking thing.
It is actually a very cool method of nest building they use. I just hate the hornets that inhabit the cool nest.............:D

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I had em so bad one year, they were actually dissecting the bees on the landing board, clip the abdomen off and away they'd go. They'd pick em off in the air too. Found the parent nest and a smaller one, they found out what it was like to be on the bottom of the food chain.

·
Premium Member
12,000 Posts
[Class] Insecta
[Subclass] Pterygota
[Division] Endopterygota
[Order] Hymenoptera
[Suborder] Apocrita -> Aculeata -> Vespoidea or Vespidea or Pompiloidea = Wasp/Hornet
[Suborder] Apocrita -> Aculeata -> Apoidea = honey bee

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bald faced hornets,that's good to know.The ones i noticed were large and very distinctive zebra stripes i had never seen those before until this year,they were hanging around one of my bee watering holes.Needless to say a badminton racquet works very well at launching them across the back yard

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
meanest nastiest sting. I got tore up last year by these. Pruning in the fruit orchard. Didn't see them until it was too late. Took about10 stings. I nvever felt so much pain. They actually drew blood. Very long stingers.

Honeybees are a piece of cake.
Ive had em too. Not 10 at once and you are right, they are sledgehammer strong. The only one worse I know of is the Japanese hornet. Thats what we call em, have heard some call em European Hornets. They are about 3-4 times bigger yellow and brown and the Devils work. G

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
FYI, the BEST bee suit is not suitable for taking on hornets.

I found a nest last fall about 100 yards from my hives. I took it down in December. It's larger than a 5 gallon bucket.

·
Registered
272 Posts
A friend of mine had one in his back yard, when he explained it to me I thought it was a honey bee swarm, when I saw it, I said oh, my! We went to the hardware store, purchased raid wasp spray, I put on my suit went up to the hive, sprayed into the hole, end of story!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts