Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, pardon my ignorance.. I am just learning!
So, something funky is happening right now on my 2 week old nuc. I just observed this behavior at the hive, see photos.
It doesnt appear to be robbers/guard bee behavior, are they sharing nectar/honey sources? Are they weak?
Any quick thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated, I havent seen this before just about an hour ago.. I feel like a worried mother to thousands of little ones!

-1.jpg

-2.jpg

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hard to tell from your photos. However, when foragers come in to the hive, they are greeted by a house bee and they transfer their stores to the house bee who will put it in the proper cell for storage or processing. They transfer nectar. The forager then returns to the field to gather more. Very efficient system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Super awesome. Thanks for the feedback beek John! It seems to have passed, that congestion from those photos... It lasted about 1 ish hour... Hopefully not robbing! Very cool about the patterns they utilize for transferring stores. I am hoping that is what it is!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I second John. It doesn't look like anything to worry about. Bees often communicate in this way at the entrance. Every once in a while a forager will come back and you'll see several bees gather around them. Someone on beesource once said they were just checking to see what the forager was carrying.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts