Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://s1371.photobucket.com/user/trottet1/library/?sort=3&page=1

the pic with the capped brood is my hive that came out of winter. The problem is my new hives that i installed on april 11. I don't see any brood, on 2 of the new ones. I don't think anyway. what is the darker colored stuff in the cells. It looks like it has a bit of texture to it. Is that brood that they began to cap? My 3rd hive has some brood that I can see. On one of the hives that I saw no brood, I did see a supersedure cell with larva in it.

basically, can someone take a look at these pics and tell me what is going on with these frames? I just thought I would see tons of brood by now.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sigh...................... can someone tell me how to post a pic on here. I opened a photo bucket account just for this and thought I inserted the link in here.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
cant say I do, but im new this is only my second year. I think that you would have to look at a different frame, seems that one is dedicated to honey.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Give them a few more days.If you installed them on the 11th and if there's brood it will be a little bit before they're capped.Sometimes the queen lays right away sometimes a couple weeks.Brood are white little wormlike things.Look again they should be curled up in the bottom of the cell.Are the queen cups on frames from the new hives?If so may be supercedure.May have rolled the queen most of us have done that.You could let them take care of the queen cells and raise another queen,you could pull the frame or frames put them in a nuc to hatch them out or get another queen that's already mated.Bear in mind it takes about 28 days from egg to laying to produce a queen.I would buy another mated queen or talk to your package supplier quite often they'll replace her for you,most are pretty good about it.Sometimes you get a queen that isn't right from the get go.If you can honestly say it wasn't an error on your part your supplier will probably replace her.You'll more than likely have to pay postage and that's it .The dark stuff you're seeing is pollen.I do see acouple of capped drone cells.Need to angle the comb down a little for I could tell.Sorry old man=old eyes.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Vance, im sorry about the spam. Everytime I try to dorectly upload a pic, I get an error message, so I am forced to use a web based svc. Im assuming thats where the spam came from.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Slow drone, I think I will re inspect in a few days. I only looked at the center 3 frames. Plus, I missed drone cells and an emerging bee. I recon Im still a little anxious when I inspect and kinda blow through it too fast without paying attention to details. I saw alot of uncapped brood in one hive. Just got lucky and grabbed the frame with all the brood I guess. Thanks for checking it out for me.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
At the top of one image, there is a virgin queen still in her cell. She is likely dead, since the cell is torn open from the side - which is not how they normally emerge.

It would be more helpful if your images where displayed in the normal orientation of each comb.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you mr clemens. From now on I will bring a real camera(slr) to the yard with me. Do you think the original queen killed that virgin queen?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts