Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I build my first hive I would like to run it by you guys to make sure I am not making any major mistakes on the size.

I am looking at making my hive, inside dimensions 16" up top, 10" on the bottom and 10" between the top and the bottom. Length will be 44-46". Does that sound alright?

·
Super Moderator
11,069 Posts
Welcome to Beesource!

The overall dimensions sound reasonable to me.

Personally, I would choose specific dimensions that fit the available lumber. :) For instance, if you are buying solid boards, 1x10s or 2x10s are actually 9.25" wide. Similarly, 1x12s are 11.25".

I'd make the hive such that a 48" piece of plywood (cut an 8 ft sheet in half for a start) would make a suitable lid.

There is a lot to said for Michael Bush's very simple design ....
http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm

·
Registered
61 Posts
My follower boards are 15" wide at the top, 6" at the bottom, and 10 1/4 tall. I used 1 x 12 for the hive body.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I've always wondered about having a board at the end of the top bars like you have J-Rat. Does that make it hard to remove the bars? I made mine 19 inches and they overhang about a quarter inch on each side of the hive, but having the board on the edge of the bars makes the hive look more finished.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm new to beekeeping, ( My bee's should arrive the first week of April.) I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.
I have a small gap on both ends of the bars. I should be able to use the hive tool to pry the bars up. ( We will see. ) I have joined
two bee keeper groups. One in the small town I live in. And one in San Diego. ( Lot's to learn ). After watching countless u-tubes on beekeeping
I used the plans on Wranglerstar.com for my hive with a few changes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts