Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My niece and I installed 6 new nucs a week and a half ago. She took pictures today of the sticky boards and disposed of them, but unfortunately the camera is pretty low resolution and she didn't really inspect them.

I read an archived post on beesource that had interesting ideas on what you can discover from a sticky board, but not much detail on how to come to those conclusions. See https://www.beesource.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-227979.html

We are waiting for another week for the first inspection as we don't want to be opening the hive too often. I'm wondering if any of the beekeepers here can tell anything useful from the pictures. Maybe the colors of light yellow vs black and brown are significant on the types of wax being worked?

The only pattern I can personally tell is that Hive 4 (lower left picture) shows the most stuff. I suspect that means either something really good (e.g., lots of brood being born) or something really bad (e.g., pests, perhaps robbing, uncapping their honey reserves).

Please see the picture below. If the site makes the picture low resolution, I've shared the image on google photos as well: https://photos.app.goo.gl/GA6jBjgyYhocV4Mf6

If nothing interesting can be discovered, that's fine, we can put new sticky boards on next week.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts,
Michael

bottom-high.jpg

·
Registered
65 colonies +/- mostly Langstroth mediums, a few deeps for nuc production
525 Posts
Resolution in the forum is not good, Google photos is better but still not great, mostly normal trash, a few mites.
Learn to do an alcohol wash, sticky boards can be a visual indicator but are not reliable as an accurate indicator.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
My niece and I installed 6 new nucs a week and a half ago. She took pictures today of the sticky boards and disposed of them, but unfortunately the camera is pretty low resolution and she didn't really inspect them.

I read an archived post on beesource that had interesting ideas on what you can discover from a sticky board, but not much detail on how to come to those conclusions. See https://www.beesource.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-227979.html

We are waiting for another week for the first inspection as we don't want to be opening the hive too often. I'm wondering if any of the beekeepers here can tell anything useful from the pictures. Maybe the colors of light yellow vs black and brown are significant on the types of wax being worked?

The only pattern I can personally tell is that Hive 4 (lower left picture) shows the most stuff. I suspect that means either something really good (e.g., lots of brood being born) or something really bad (e.g., pests, perhaps robbing, uncapping their honey reserves).

Please see the picture below. If the site makes the picture low resolution, I've shared the image on google photos as well: https://photos.app.goo.gl/GA6jBjgyYhocV4Mf6

If nothing interesting can be discovered, that's fine, we can put new sticky boards on next week.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts,
Michael

View attachment 55355
I'm not looking at your sticky board images.

You can learn some info from a sticky board. The most important info, that makes it worth having sticky boards is checking the mite drop.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Resolution in the forum is not good, Google photos is better but still not great, mostly normal trash, a few mites.
Learn to do an alcohol wash, sticky boards can be a visual indicator but are not reliable as an accurate indicator.
John,
Understood about the resolution. I'm amazed that you could see mites on the images, maybe it looks circular?

Regarding the alcohol wash, I'll definitely look up how to do that, I've not heard of it before. Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not looking at your sticky board images.

You can learn some info from a sticky board. The most important info, that makes it worth having sticky boards is checking the mite drop.
Thank you for the information, username00101. I will make sure that we save the sticky board for the mite drop count next time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts