Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about a pop can size of oxalic acid I got from a bee keeper who had it for at least 2 years. I've had it for 2 years as well. I did an oav treatment on my 12 hives with the old oxalic. A few days later I did an inspection and found no queen, no eggs, and no young larvae in one hive. There were no queen cells being made.
I gave some of my oxalic acid to a fellow keeper and he described an identical problem after treatment.
Can the oav treatment cause this? I didn't see it in my other hives. It's seems like the bee's cleaned house and got rid of everything. I didn't see any larvae or dead bee's outside the hive but that hive is elevated with no landing board and the ants would have cleaned it up sooner than I did my inspection.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I was told by a chemist that if you place a bag of sand next to a bag of OA in a cool, dark, dry place they will last the same amount of time. So unless something was added to it, its unlikely it had anything to do with the OA.

·
Registered
84 Posts
No expert here, but was it still white or did it have a tan appearance? Was it stored in a metal container (which is not recommended)?

·
Registered
434 Posts
It seems like it would be more than a few days for brood to disappear after a OAV treatment. Did you inspect that particular hive prior to treating? I would guess that hive had lost its queen prior to treatment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems like it would be more than a few days for brood to disappear after a OAV treatment. Did you inspect that particular hive prior to treating? I would guess that hive had lost its queen prior to treatment.
My previous inspection was 5 days prior and I stopped looking after I saw some eggs. So no proof the queen was there at that time.
I did not do a mite check. I was doing OAV on all the hives.
I didn't think the OA would have been the issue but was curious. My other colonies didn't seem any worse for wear when I inspected them after the OAV.
I would have expected them to try and make a new queen if the current queen failed. Obviously, there must have been additional circumstances that prevented it.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
I have just completed six treatments on the Mondays and Fridays of each week, so my last treatment was 4 days ago. I went into a colony this morning to get young brood for some grafts and found brood of all stages although the carni stock I have are definitely cutting back on brood, lots of backfillingemerging brood cells. But then again I use 99.6% pure OA.

·
Registered
2021 17 hives
313 Posts
When I see no evidence of queen (no eggs) after OAV or just inspection I chalk it up to operator error.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I was told by a chemist that if you place a bag of sand next to a bag of OA in a cool, dark, dry place they will last the same amount of time. So unless something was added to it, its unlikely it had anything to do with the OA.
Oxalic acid basically lasts indefinitely as long as it's bag is closed.

Oxalic acid is also perfectly safe to use with honey supers present, and does not contaminate honey.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts