Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of my bees died in my OB hive including my queen. I left the remaining bees alone to see what they would do. Finally started seeing eggs which told me I had a laying worker.

3 days ago I extracted a smaller hive(seen the queen on the last piece of comb) and decided to put them into the OB hive so I blocked off the entrance and took the OB hive outside and shook out all the remaining bees, they all migrated back to where the OB mormally sits and clustered on the wall outside the blocked entrance. I then put the new bees inside the OB hive and put the hive back into place and removed the paper blocking the entrance.

Later that night I seen the queen from the new hive on a frame. Ive looked for every since and can not find her. I can usually see the queen but myself and my wife has spent hours looking for her. She looked a little shorter and a lot fatter than I am use to seeing so Im thinking maybe she is/was a virgin queen.

Is it possible that in all the confusion that the laying worker came back inside and they killed the new queen??

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Anything is possible. Did any of the new frames have brood on them. That's kind of necessary to stop the Laying Worker. Also the virgin queens are usually slimmer not fatter then usual. Some breeds are more skittish and tend to run the combs more than others. What's your strain?

The odds are that the new queens attendants should have kept the LW out. But it's not a guarantee. give em a day or so. Better yet, three days and then chack the laying pattern.

Good Luck,

Hawk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts