Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I move a hive 10 or 15 yards without causing to much caos in the hive? It was the first hive I've ever put out and I think it's shaded to much and would like to move it closer to the alfalfa. Looked like a good spot at first but now not so much.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Can I move a hive 10 or 15 yards without causing to much caos in the hive? It was the first hive I've ever put out and I think it's shaded to much and would like to move it closer to the alfalfa. Looked like a good spot at first but now not so much.
Thanks
Mike
The distance to the alfalfa won't make any difference. Full sun is recommended to help control pests. If you only have one hive, and the distance is short, it won't make much difference as they will quickly find their hive and get back to normal.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Thanks
Mike
Chaos won't occur inside the hive, but outside.
Too much shade? In Nebraska? What makes you think so?
Move it closer to the alfalfa? Ten or 15 yards won't make a difference to the foraging bees. It's not like they have to walk to work, they fly. You could move the hive 10 or 15 yds away from the alfalfa and it wouldn't matter one bit to foraging bees. That's what they do, fly to work. Besides, unless that alfalfa isn't harvested for hay, the alfalfa will be cut before the bloom and won't be of benefit to your bees anyway.

Sorry to be such a downer. Such is life. Reality sucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts