Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three of my hives have either nosema or dysentary. I used the dry sugar method for winter, so I scraped all of that out and put on some sugar water. The one hive I've got into is pretty weak, so I took off one of the supers. There is a little poo in it, but not much. What I want to know is - can I use this super of frames in another hive, or will they get nosema too? I've never had nosema before.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hello-
I've only been keeping bees for two years, but I can let you know what I did. When I lost a hive to nosema my first winter, I cleaned the frames and boxes with a bleach solution, rinsed, and dried them in the sun. I reused them again, and this winter the hive using those frames and boxes had no problems.

Jennifer

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I would use the frames.

Feeding syrup alone should do wonders for clearing up nosema, along with being able to do regular cleansing flights.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I would have hated to lose all that comb since most of it was from last year and the year before. I try to get rid of any comb older than 3 years. Appreciate the input.

Lisa

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
What is it with Nosema this year. Seems to be lots around.

I don't reuse comb. I do reuse frames after a good cleaning. Scorch, bleach and dry. Never had another problem. I also scorch the boxes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
People say that have Nosema, but have they actually taken the necessary steps to prove their bees had a high spore count on Nosema (Apis or Ceranae)? and this is what cause the dysentary they see and the eventual loss of the hive? :scratch:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts