Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several division feeders and like that they hold a lot of syrup. I have a couple of splits in nucs that Im going to transfer into 10 frame deeps soon and I'm wondering if I can put an inner cover on the lower deep, then an empty deep with the frame feeder in it on top of that. I'd then be able to fill the feeder without disturbing the hive much, and my thought is that the bees would mostly stay in the lower deep under the inner cover and not build comb in the empty deep. Once the lower box was completely drawn I would then add new frames to the deep with the feeder and move the inner cover above it.

I know some people put a pail feeder above the inner cover hole, but I don't have any pail feeders.

Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
sounds like a good plan. you might dribble a little syrup on the inner cover and dawn the side of the feeder to get the girls interested. just keep an eye out for burr comb in that upper deep. also, keep track of how much syrup they are taking. last spring I was feeding and thought, wow this great. they are taking lots of syrup. yeah right, they had back filled the entire bottom deep. I ended up pulling some of the filled frames adding empty frames and removing those feeders.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts