Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 40 hive bodies that have frames of undrawn foundation that I put in my basement for storage. Someone mentioned to me that the wax could melt and slide off the frames if they are stored in my garage or somewhere that gets really hot in the summer. I thought the basement would be a good place, but I don't want to risk getting wax moths down there. Is it ok if it is just foundation? I've read that moths don't mess with foundation but typically go for drawn comb.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I keep them in my basement. I've never had moths attack the undrawn foundation. Whenever I bring in drawn foundation, I freeze it for 24 hours to kill any moths/larva. Then I bag it in cheap, small trash bags and tape the bag shut. If you're worried, you can do the same with undrawn, I suppose.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Most definitely will mess up Foundation.Paramoth is suggested for storing that much foundation.Freezing will kill them that's for sure ,but 40 hive bodies=320 to 400 frames that's a lot of freezing to do_On a smaller scale awebber 96 has a better way to go!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had wax moths get in foundation and brand new hive bodies- I had drawn comb stacked right beside it. made a terrible mess. from then on I use paramoth

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. That's exactly what I'm doing. I had them outside in the garage until last week when I moved them to the basement. I have them stacked with no entrances in the bottom or top...I'm guessing moths could still find a breach... I am going the no chemical approach, so I will just keep my eye on them and hope for the best.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I like Michaels approach better than Para-Moth.Hate wax moths but hate chemicals even more.Good way to eliminate one more chemical:applause:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts