Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a taste of this year's honey and I WANT. Can I take a frame or two, since the goldenrod is only now coming into bloom and we should have a flow from that? They're starting to fill the super but it's a long way from capping. I'd be happy to leave that for them, if I can have some of what they've got now.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I pulled a frame last year for my wife and did just that....brushed. If you have never used a bee brush you can not start at the top and just brush down, start near the bottom with small strokes and slowly work your way up the frame.....oh, and enjoy!

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
If the honey is capped, a good shake will remove most (if not all) of the bees.

You can also hold the frame on end, and thump the end of the top bar on the landing board. Two good thumps will normally knock all the bees off the frame.

If you use a bee brush, don't brush the bees. Use the brush to flick the bees off.

If you get really desperate, just use your leaf blower to blow the bees off.

Or simply set that frame in an empty box away from your hive where sunlight can hit the frame. ;) As long as you have a good nectar flow, bees won't try to rob it out and the old bees that were on it will return to your hive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts