Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering raising bees at a location (cabin in Patrick, South Carolina) where I don't live permanently. I live in Florida, and travel to the cabin in SC about 6 times a year. Each visit is usually about 1-2 weeks. I usually have some flexibility and I should be able to schedule my visits to key times in the bees' schedule. My question is simple: Is this a viable scenario or am I just asking for trouble by trying to raise bees in a location where I my be absent for up to 2 months at a time?

We have many fruit trees and I would really like to start raising bees for pollination, honey, etc., but I don't want to be irresponsible about it.

Appreciate any constructive thoughts.

·
Registered
887 Posts
sure....you may have swarms and dead hives from time to time due to not being able to monitor them as much as you would if you live there, but you probably will have some level of success by just letting them "bee"

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
The further away bees are the less care I take of them... the bees probably think that's a good thing... but I end up with less bees as they will swarm before I split them, I won't notice the went queenless etc...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts