Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a full depth long hive and I was wondering if I put some frames of bees from a 3/4 depth box into it, would the bees fill in the bottom? I know if I put 3/4's into a full depth verticle hive they would fill the gaps in between the supers but I have heard that they treat the bottom a bit diferently and don't necessary fill it out. Is this true or not?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
they will build comb from the bottom of the frame and attach it to the bottom board, or fill in the empty space with several new comb running a different direction than your frames. i have done it and never gotten away with it. its valuable space to them and they'll find a way to use it.justin

·
Registered
465 Posts
Just create a removable false bottom in the portion of the long hive that you are putting in the 3/4 frames. I would probably make it like a screened bottom board to help with mites and ventilation. Cleats would hold it in place. Leaving a bee space between the removable false bottom and the bottom of the 3/4 frames.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome, thats cleared that up then, I won't be putting those frames in without creating a false bottom. Thanks for your help both of you.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have not used long hives, but I have put shallow frames in deep hive bodies several times, and the bees just draw pretty comb right on the bottom of the frames. I have never had them attach it to the bottom board. Now if you put short frames in any box above the bottom, they will attach to the frames below.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
In making nucs for sale I often use shallow frames of honey in the deep nuc, if I don't have enough deep frames of honey. If you don't get that frame out as the colony increases, the bees will draw comb from the bottom bars of the shallow frame down to bee space on the bottom board.

I have never seen a frame attached to the bottom board.

You should not have a problem,

cchoganjr

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I have medium frames in deep bodies right now. the bees drew comb from the bottom bar down about as far as all the other frames go and stopped. No idea what it will look like in the spring. Now if I can just figure out how to make a deep frame fit in a medium box I have it made.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mediums in a deep is no problem, the bees will stop building it down about 3/8" before the bottom board. Keep a deep frame on both sides and it'll be ok. Several short frames side by side could get messy. Deep frames in a medium is no problem either, a few seconds with the right saw will fix it right up.:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its taught me one thing and that is to remain with one size frames & supers from now on, its much easier when you want to put brood or honey into another hive.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I have a hive that got off to a weird start as a result of a cut-out. It was long day and at the end some loose comb was just dumped in on the side creating a big mess. Since I was a newbie, I didn't recognize the potential problem fast enough. When I did, my solution was to make room for the odd-sized comb by putting a medium on top of a shallow. The bees promptly drew out comb hanging from the bottom of the medium frames into the space of the shallow. They drew lovely comb arcs below each frame into the open space but didn't make any effort to connect them physically to the tops of the frames in the box below. In the end I just screwed the two boxes together and let them have their unusually deep combs, partly on frames and partly hanging free below. Removing them for inspection takes the same care and techniques one would have to use if they were foundation-less. This odd-depth box is going to become my lower brood chamber next spring. I would be very surprised if the bees drew out the combs in a way that attaches them to the bottom board. I think they will leave whatever space they like best, and I am pretty sure it won't be nothing.

If one was planning on extracting these combs, I do think that could be a problem.

Enj.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts