Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a new package in a 10-frame deep. I'm using a frame (division) feeder. I would rather not have to break into the hive every time I need to re-supply syrup to the feeder. Additionally, I don't like using up a space where a frame would normally go. Can I place another deep on top of the original deep that contains only the frame feeder? If I do that, would that second deep containing the feeder go above or below the inner cover? Many thanks.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would keep them just confined to the one deep. 2 deep = too much space for a new package. You could put the sugar water in a mason jar with some holes poked into the lid and place that over the inner cover. Then put the empty deep over the jar.

jar feeder from bottom.jpg

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you are taking about a box with just the feeder, then they will build comb from your cover. Bad idea.

Jar on inner cover or other hive top feeder. I use the Kelly bunt style, I just had to make up my own inner cover for use it.

It's nice to pop the top and even see a little activity without disturbing them.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I like using a mason jar over the inner cover also for feeding with an empty box around it, I always shim up the jar lid off the inner cover with a couple strips of 3/8" wood so the bees can still come up above the inner cover and the hive can still ventilate. Putting the jar right on top of the inner cover hole without shims blocks the ventilation of the hive too much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts