Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to reduce the number of hives I have by combining hives. This is leaving me with extra brood frames filled with honey. If I open feed these frames to the bees at this time of year with honey supers on is that a bad thing to do? So i treat with soft chemicals, thymol, oxalic, and formic acids. So will that make open feeding them to the bees with honey supers on inappropriate? Or should I store the honey and wait until the honey supers are off to open feed those brood frames?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Wouldn't it be better to just save them for the winter? Or simply put them on after you take the honey supers off? I am not a huge fan of community feeding. We have such a population of Italian bees in my area that even spilling a little syrup can bring robbers from all around. You can scratch the cappings and put them on top of the inner cover, or the top of the frames after the supers are off. You can also spin it out and feed it like 2:1 syrup. You may be able to get away with community feeding in your area, IDK. But when you have supers on, whatever they bring in has the potential to go into them. Even if they are bringing it in because they are robbing out someone else's hive. I am not sure why you are feeding with honey supers on anyway?

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
If they are left over from previous summer they will surely by crystallized and not the easiest thing for the bees to be dealing with in winter. Also very likely will not extract. Out in the open they will clean out frames that they will hardly touch if you put them in the hives. Maybe the competition or forbidden fruit factor, or the ants efforts, but they do get emptied, pollen and all. The cells do get razzed up a fair bit but they quickly fix that. Inside they dont seem to touch the pollen or clear out the crystalllized.

As for the honey being contaminated by treatments, that would be a valid concern. Probably almost undetectable. If you could store them till after the honey supers were off in the fall and that would be the best time to open feed them. When they are a bit hungry they are less picky. Dont put them anywhere close to the hives to avoid getting a robbing spree going. That is not fun.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
If you can't store them,and are concerned about open feeding,you could put them as bottom box on strong hives and they will bring it up to supers. You may have to scratch the cappings. J

1 - 4 of 4 Posts