Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying some hives on a new location that is about 40 minutes away. Just three hives but I was ready to super them for the upcoming wild blackberry bloom. Since it is out of my way and I may not be able to check on the regularly can I stack more than one super on them at a time? two? three?
Wondering,

THANKS!

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Sure you can. Put on as many as you think the flow will fill before your next return. The bees will plan to fill the space and work harder to do so, if you give them the space to fill, so long as nectar flow is strong enough to supply them material for the planned work. Just my opinion of course, some of this is conjecture about the bees planning ahead and all, but I see no reason why you need to only add one super at a time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, you can put several on at once. Better to give the bees more room than to miss part of the crop, and if there's a good flow they will use the extra space when bringing in the nectar, which will then shrink in volume as the bees reduce its moisture content.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Along the same subject, should you remove the full one's and replace them with empties when they cap them? I know some old time beeks that say to wait until the flow is done, and pull all of them. Last year we had a great black locust flow, then 26 out of 30 days of rain, and they emptied them from being cooped up all that time! I thought I should have pulled them when they were full.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Pull them as you can but they will work past the full ones to fill others.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
You can certainly add supers in advance of a flow. More on the hive is much, much better than not enough. Yes, you can pull as they cap or you can leave till the end. If the bees needed the honey last year, you should be glad they had it to use!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts