Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I could put my hives into the stands I made at night ? I ask because I work second shift and thought maybe this would also be the easiest time or I could be wrong and it could be the worst time that is why im asking here ......all I need to do is drag the hives forward a couple feet they are sitting on pallets now put my landscaping pavers down put the hives on them then lift and set the hive on the stand they are new nucs with still only 1 brood super. im fighting chlakbrood so they aren't advancing fast :(:(

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would not do it at night. I would do it during the day and use a smoker. The only way I would consider it after dark would be if I blocked the entrance. Not a good idea to mess with the bees at night, imo. Plus you can see better what you are doing during the day.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
"I was wondering if I could put my hives into the stands I made at night ?"
No further than you are moving the hives, I would move it whenever it was convenient, day or night. Don't smoke them if you don't have to. (If I were moving them more than a few feet, I would do it after dark so all the bees would be in the hive.) You should not need to block the entrance if you are quick and gentle and don't use a flashlight. Cheers,

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Agree with radar and riverderwent, move when you have the opportunity. I don't smoke nucs but I do wear protective clothing and move them gently. You should be able to do what you need to do without stressing them much (or yourself).

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Sure you can Tyler. Just be prepared. Wear protective gear and have you smoker lit and at hand. Smoke them before and while you are moving them. Be careful. When things go wrong, darkness makes it worse.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
There are alot of things in life you can do, but is it the best option. No. I would do it during the day. Its just so much easier with light and the bees will be less temperamental. If you work second there should be overlap with sun either at beginning or end of shift, right?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are alot of things in life you can do, but is it the best option. No. I would do it during the day. Its just so much easier with light and the bees will be less temperamental. If you work second there should be overlap with sun either at beginning or end of shift, right?
yes there is but with my side business and gym I have a hard time finding daylight during the week and wanted to do it as soon as possible which would be tonight at midnight when I get home

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Sounds like a plan. I prefer daytime not bc of the bees but bc of the ability to see and work effectively. I move hives atleast once a year. I close em at dusk and move at dawn.

·
Registered
638 Posts
If your doing it at night....I'd get help. Those boxes all togather will be heavy and cumbersome. I moved one of mine at night by myself and thank the Lord for propolis cuz when I went to pick it up and that 3 tier hive tilted almost all the way over......I thought for sure I was a goner. I imagined boxes, frames, and bees everywhere tumbled to the ground ...at night!...in the dark!.....BUT.....the propolis kept the boxes togather so I was able to right it before it broke apart. Get a second hand to help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well I went ahead last night and kinda revamped my apiary I put down flat concrete slabs put my hive stands on the put my earth anchors in the ground so I can ratchet strap the hives down I have a odd thought of how easily they can tip over. I had just took a couple wet rags with me out and put them infront of the entrance which the hives are only alil over a month old so the entrance reducers are still on. Everything went great now I don't think id try opening the hives up at night because I did take the telescoping cover off and shined a light into the hive through the inner cover and they started buzzing loud fast so I shut it and left haha thanks for the advice though everyone and from my experience for something like what I did id suggest doing it

·
Registered
92 Posts
well I went ahead last night and kinda revamped my apiary I put down flat concrete slabs put my hive stands on the put my earth anchors in the ground so I can ratchet strap the hives down I have a odd thought of how easily they can tip over. I had just took a couple wet rags with me out and put them infront of the entrance which the hives are only alil over a month old so the entrance reducers are still on. Everything went great now I don't think id try opening the hives up at night because I did take the telescoping cover off and shined a light into the hive through the inner cover and they started buzzing loud fast so I shut it and left haha thanks for the advice though everyone and from my experience for something like what I did id suggest doing it
Glad the move worked for ya! Enjoyed reading how you checked on them after the move...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts