Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm new to this hobby. I started with two packages in early April. The bees are doing great. Filled two deeps fairly quickly with brood. I added a medium super, which they have filled (and capped) with honey. They are now working on another medium super.

Here is the question (or questions):

Should I expect to be able to harvest any honey this year? Can I take the honey now and let them keep whatever they store from now until winter?

How much honey will they need for the winter?

I wasn't expecting any honey this year, but they seem to be doing real well and if they don't need it all, I might as well enjoy it.

Any advice?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I wouldn't pull any yet, it's not going anywhere, although if you're running 10 frames, you could pull a frame or two without hurting anything if you really want some honey. I would advise waiting a while, let them fill at least the super you have on. It could always turn off dry, and they'll need at least a super for winter and spring buildup.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I subscribe to the Jim Fisher school of thought.

"Harvest now and harvest often."

Now it goes without saying - you are responsible to feed them if they run short in the fall so that they have enough to get through the winter, but it sounds like they've done well and you can take some of it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
id third that, pull and extract now, you can alway feed back sugar in the late summer. enjoy that new honey while you can. i had 2 packages the first year that drew foundation, i split them and still took off 2 gallons of honey in the fall. however i did feed the heck out of them that fall but 3 of the 4 made it threw the winter. man did i enjoy that honey.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Harvest the honey now or wait for the fall, but you might want to consider adding more supers if they have that one full and capped. And if they have two deep brood boxes filled with brood and if you can get ahold of a mated queen somewhere, I would split it.
If you need any info how, let me know. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey " J "
Harvest the honey if the supers are at 90-95% full.
I harvested June 4 th and got 37 quarts.
Again I harvested July 5 th and got 78.5 quarts.
If you let them keep the fall honey they will be good for winter.
Good luck and great job.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I also suggest to put on at least 2 more sups, on for them.
the more room they see the more production from them.
Proven by me here in Illinois for the past 15 yrs.
All of my brother beeks I help do this and same result
each year.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I would harvest everything above the deeps. If you want to be long, give them the 3rd box, and you take everything from 4 on up.

Just my humble opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts