Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Re: Can I feed them to much

Bees will take syrup until they find something they like better. If there is a strong nectat flow on they will take much less syrup, if any at all. The main problem with continuing to feed syrup once they start making surplus honey is they could put syrup up with the honey.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
11,144 Posts
Re: Can I feed them to much

I don't think you can go too far wrong by feeding syrup until 80% of the combs in the first brood box are drawn. Note that typical advice is to add a new box when 70%-80% of the frames in the existing box are drawn.

·
Registered
825 Posts
edric: You installed a Nuc, didn't they already have a frame of stores? I will preface my statement by saying I MAY, may feed a swarm for a couple of days....might...beyond that I have never had to feed. We pretty much have something blooming all year round. The time we have to worry at all is the dead heat of August. I do my last honey harvest by the middle of June for that very reason. Honestly....me...I would stop feeding. As I mentioned, I am curious to know what resources they had when they were installed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
edric: You installed a Nuc, didn't they already have a frame of stores? I will preface my statement by saying I MAY, may feed a swarm for a couple of days....might...beyond that I have never had to feed. We pretty much have something blooming all year round. The time we have to worry at all is the dead heat of August. I do my last honey harvest by the middle of June for that very reason. Honestly....me...I would stop feeding. As I mentioned, I am curious to know what resources they had when they were installed.
Hey, it was a thriving five frames of wall to wall bees, very healthy, they must be doing something with all that syrup, maybe I should inspect it in a couple of days, Ed

·
Registered
825 Posts
edric: You are close enough to me to be experiencing virtually the same conditions. We experienced unseasonably dry weather the last few weeks, but now that the rainy season has started, nectar will be fairly plentiful for the next couple months. Our major flows are over for now, but there is still plenty out there. Florida beekeeping is a whole different animal... Oh, speaking of which...make sure you at least have a veiled jacket once they get booming! Did these bees come from somebody local? Kickin' Florida momma's just 'ain't the same as them northern bees'. :lookout:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, the nuc (mostly Italian stock, over time she has had some Russian mixed in), came from Deb's Bee Supply, Hastings, FL. way out in the stix, also an office in Jax, but Hastings was closer, I'm in Oak Hill, FL., 30 miles south of Daytona, Ed

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all, I opened my hive today and took a couple frames out, still at least 3 frames blank, maybe four, what is the least amount of time it would take a healthy nuc, to draw out 70 or 80% of the bottom box and be ready for the next 10 frame box to be added, thanks, Ed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts