Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to get started with some hives for a while now. I recently moved to the east coast of Newfoundland. Just wondering if keeping bees on this most easterly point of the continent will be productive. Any body got bees in Newfoundland that can help?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Interesting thread. There are a few beekeepers from Canada on this forum. There was an article recently in one of the US. bee journals about keeping bees in Alaska!

What I briefly read about Newfoundland, is that they produce [or harvest] more than just fish :rolleyes:. They grow many berries and fruits/vegetables, so they have a need for honey bees also.

http://www.nr.gov.nl.ca/agric/crops/apiculture.stm

What I found surprising is that Newfoundland does not have Varroa or Tracheal mites. I don't know if this is still true today. So,..if you do decide to get bees, you be sure to get them locally,..from your immediate area or Province. There are probably laws about importing from the US.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I have read so far you are correct about the Varroa and mites. There are strict laws about where the bees do come from. So far Newfoundland is free of those pests.

Alaska... well do they do have very long days in the summer so the bees get a lot of working hours in the day. I wonder how they over winter.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
The article I read recently about Alaska beekeepers, said most of them let the bees die in the winter, & get new packages in the spring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts