Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I retrieved a small swarm yesterday at a friend's house, and the bees seem perfectly happy in their new home. However, it is such a small swarm that I have doubts about it building up fast enough on foundation to be strong enough to winter. I have another swarm hive that's drawn about half the frames in their box. Can I immediately combine the two with the new one on top separated by newspaper, or should I wait a couple weeks?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, the older swarm hive is drawing frames in their second deep, so I'll have to figure out how to reduce three deeps to two if I combine them.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I have to agree with Dixiebooks; swarms usually build fast. Let them build for a while and see what happens. It's only July. If they're not strong enough when you start winter prep then combine them.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
When I do a combine like this I just add another deep as a news paper combine. After they have all mixed I just reduce the 3 deep and move some frames around. But, give them a chance it is still early in the summer.:eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts