Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, all. I find I have a small stack of black plastic foundation that I took off my hives several years ago. The wax comb is mostly gone, or never was there. I'm wondering if any of you have cut these frames down for use in supers? I'd like to know if they need to be cleaned & how to do that without warping them or otherwise ruining the plastic. I assume they need a fresh coat of wax over the sides - how does one do that? I'd then like to cut off the bottoms and hang the frames. Without any bottom rail, will the bees stop drawing comb, or do they connect with the super below? Have any of you tried this & how did it work? I'd like to hear about your experiences plus or minus. WJPowers Waxhaw, NC

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have cut down some deep wooden frames with plastic foundation and drawn comb. I used a table saw with a fence set at 3" to cut the bottoms off. They work fine. I haven't noticed any more brace comb than normal built on the bottoms.

I haven't tried cleaning any old plastic foundation. If they are plastic frames & foundation maybe you could try soaking them in water for a week or so to loosen up the old cocoons and then pressure wash.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts