Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know of an old abandoned house where there is a hive of bees that seem to be fairly prolific.

Question: If I put a hive body around the entrance with 10 frames of foundation, do you think I can encourage a swarm to move into my hive box?

I can't get to the bees under the house. Way, way too many rattlesnakes in this part of the world. It's not a question of IF there are snakes under old abandoned houses, just a question of HOW MANY?:doh:

·
Registered
298 Posts
If that hive swarms and there is one of your boxs nearby - then yes you stand a good chance of catching the swarm.

I would not put in 10 frames, but 6. The swarm likes to 'cluster' and the open room will allow them to do that. Use a frame or two, or inner cover, box - anything that has been used by bees before, that seems to help. To help you can also use some lure / scent on the box. The best is commercial pheromones they sell at the bee supply places, or if you are re-queening the old pinched queen. The commercial phermones are really cheep - just a few bucks and really do help. If I don't have any of that handy, I put a few drops of lemongrass oil on a cottonball in the box.

Place the box as high as you can off the ground - facing south is best.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've caught three over the last four years just having hive bodies sitting on my trailer in the parking area next to our driveway. It's nice when they come to you instead of the other way around. So, yes there's a very good chance to catch a swarm that way - no guarantee, but a very good chance.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to give it the old college try as they say and see what I can come up with.

I don't have any nasonov or lemon grass oil but I suppose I'll be ordering some shortly.

However, I do have two 5-gallon buckets of old comb that would be a nice attractant. The bees seemed to be really drawn to that old comb. When I leave it sitting out, bees from all around come to land on it and check it out.

Also, the wooden nuc boxes that I brought my new bees in...they are sitting under my carport and attracting all kinds of visiting bees. They just love the smell of it I guess.

I'll keep everyone posted as things develop.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have put up 14 swarm traps 2 weeks ago all over my county. I have only checked half of them and I've already caught a real nice swarm. I filled the boxes with a old frame of foundation and fill the rest with undrawn foundation and a few drops of lemon grass oil. I'm using nucs and 10 frame deeps about 6 to 15 feet in a tree.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I love leaving an empty hive body with foundation in it laying around my hives. You may be surprised how often you can catch a swarm like that. = Big T

1 - 6 of 6 Posts